There is a question that we’ve seen on several expat forums, how a foreign doctor can legally practice in Vietnam? Hereby, it will be discussed on this article in the framework of the Vietnamese regulations, the subject to foreigner doctors come to work in Vietnam.
Doctor is belonging to the list of occupations requiring a practicing certificate as prescribed by law. It also understanding that a foreign doctor who wants to practice in Vietnam needs to have an appropriate practicing certificate.
Foreign doctor will be granted a practicing certificate if he fulfilling these conditions:
- Having a medical related professional diploma granted or recognized in Vietnam;
- Certifying the practice process;
- Having a certificate of health in good physical to practice;
- Satisfy the requirements on language use in medical examination, treatment;
- Having criminal records certified by a competent authority as required;
- Having a work permit issued by a competent Vietnamese state agency.
Where to start practicing legally in Vietnam? In our opinion, you should have an offer letter to work as a doctor from a hospital in Vietnam. We believe the hospital will have an initial evaluation of the possibility of being granted a practicing certificate for a foreign doctor at a competent authority before making a decision to send an invitation to you.
As a foreign doctor, along with, you should prepare the above the conditions. We’d like to stress these points accordingly:
- Check whether your professional qualifications are recognized in Vietnam and completed the recognition procedure in accordance with our regulations. The recognition of medical examination, treatment practice certificates among countries shall comply with the provisions of international agreements or international treaties to which the Socialist Republic of Vietnam is a member. We recommend that you consult from legal experts to assist you in completing this procedure.
- Contact to the hospital for the eighteen (18) month practice as a doctor and must have a written certification of this practice;
- Learn Vietnamese and be recognized fluently. If you do not know Vietnamese fluently, you need to find a qualified interpreter. You can have more advice from language education specialists, legal experts to assist you in fulfilling this requirement.
The Minister of Health has the authority to issue practicing certificates to foreigners who come to practice medical examination, treatment in Vietnam. This practicing certificate is issued once and is valid throughout the country.
Contact us if you need further advice.
Note: This article is for informational purposes only and it is not a legal advice. The content of the article represents its own of TTVN Legal, it subject to change without prior notice.